THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:18:40 EDT
Regarding:

> I'm on 112 mcg. Levoxyl.

When I questioned one endocrinologist to tell me how much T4 a normal thyroid
gland put out per day, he insisted that it was exactly 150 mcg.  Well, I knew
that was silly, because everyone is different and the same person can have
different needs on different days and different times of the same day.  And
since then I've learned that a lot depends on how well one converts T4 to T3 and
how much of that T3 is the unusable Reverse T3 -- those processes seem to be
affected by the condition and output of the adrenal glands, especially the
stress hormone cortisol.  And I've learned that there are a lot of other factors
that can inhibit the process of getting enough T3 into the cells.

Anyway, based on what that endo told me, I am wondering if the 112 mcg.
Levoxyl (T4) is not enough for the woman who had a complete thyroidectomy and needs
a total replacement dosage.  And I wonder if her doctor is even willing to
take everything into account and treat the person, not the TSH lab numbers.  I'm
wondering if the doctor buys into the mistaken belief that being at the low
end or high end of "normal" (on the lopsided bell-shaped curve) in the lab
results is sufficient for a person trying to live life.  (Always insist on a
printout of the lab results; don't accept "You are in the normal range.")

                      Snip, Please
If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
 the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

Why not ask a question? If we're not currently talking about
what *you* want to hear about, ask about another topic! Or
make a statement. To be prepared, you might want to search
the Thyroid Archives http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html
to see what has been said before about any thyroid-related topic.