THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
wayfarers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Sep 2005 02:33:53 +0200
Hi Lori
Hope this will help.
I was very hyperthyroid, then dropped to hypo. and I was put on eltroxin
(synthroid). My tests eventually were a normal, healthy TSH & T3. My body
told me a different story .I was still struggling badly with horrific leg
pains and weight gain, even on a strict low calorie & GI diet with plenty of
excercise.I was still horribly irritable, had anxiey attacks ( I am grateful
for a patient husband - do not kow how HE survived! ) and was permanently
exhausted - not just physically, but also just being alive was an effort!
I must say that, as far as my experience goes, the emotional side and
exhausion was BOTH when I was hyper and hypo. The weight gain was when I was
hypo ( and I lost the outer half of my eyebrows - hair loss? ) When I was
hyper I LOST weight.
I found info on low body temterature and WTS in the thyroid archives, and
then info on the  www.WilsonsTemperatureSyndrome.com site. Basically the WTS
is a problem of lack or conversion of T4 to T3 causing your metabolism to
slow down resulting in hypo like symptoms but  normal blood tests. It can be
a combination of hypo & low body temp.- with no thyroid, I would presume
that is the case.
 A simple checking my temp.3 times a day for a few days led me to believe
that I had the solution. My average temp was 35;3 (95:5 F)  Normal is 37C
(98:6). Lowest temp should be when you wake. and then go up as you get on
with the day, but mine was highest when I woke up so I gathered my
metabolism was very low.
Luckily I have a fantastic GP. He was prepared to listen to my symptoms and
not just go with a blood test . My endo said T3 was not even an option, if
you read old archive letters it seems that is the normal response with most
medical practitioners. My GP was prepared to read up on WTS and gave me
tetroxin (T3) to try. I must admit I experimented with dosage so I could get
going with treatment without waiting for him to study the whole book on how
to follow the WTS Protocol.
Here is the interesting part. I reduced the dosage of eltroxin (T4) while I
was building up the T3 dose. Following the WTS protocol I finally stopped
the T4/eltroxin completely and just stayed on T3. Within 48 hours all leg
pain/spasms stopped completely. I started feeling human again!
It really was amazing.  (Thanks to Peg's advice - see week 1 July archive
letter ) I carried on slowly increasing T3 until I hit some hyper symtoms
one of which was CRAMPS in my legs, as if I was over-exercising - very
different to muscle spasms. At this stage my temp was averaging 36:4 (about
97:5F).  ( Peg, this part is for you to hear the latest!) I stated
decreasing the T3 dose and finaly stopped altogether. My temp stayed at 36:4
and leg SPASMS started again, but very mildly compared to what it was
before. My weight is very stable but, at this stage, it has not dropped -
still an improvement on the weight gain even with dieting.. In general most
other symptms are 70% improved. So I now am doing the T3/tetroxin build up
again. Once I was back on a very low dose of T3 & with no T4at all, all leg
spasms stopped. I am presuming my temp will get closer to normal and I can
decrease dose of T3 - I have totally stopped T4. Again, with no thyroid I
presume you need both.
Just with my symptoms, I gather I am not converting T4 to T3 and have had T3
storing as RT3 and 'bogging down' my thyroid system.. In short, I would say
leg spasms are low T3 and cramping pain too much T3.I would say weight gain
is hypo & anxiety etc can be both.I would suggest you ask if you can try
T3 - a test of TSH, T4 & T3 might be a good try. But I think conversion
problems don't always show in a blood test.  I do feel a simple temp check
is no cost or fancy test and from what I have read on this site, is a real
breakthrough for a lot of sufferers.
Would be grateful if anyone else on the site can give their input.I am no
expert.
Just to add a big THANKS to Peg - your advice was a huge help. Hope you are
keeping well.

LYNETTE

                      Snip, Please
If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
 the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

Why not ask a question? If we're not currently talking about
what *you* want to hear about, ask about another topic! Or
make a statement. To be prepared, you might want to search
the Thyroid Archives http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html
to see what has been said before about any thyroid-related topic.