THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
wayfarers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jun 2005 23:22:31 +0200
Hi
My sincere apologies
My letter should hav read 16 Kilos ( i.e 35 pounds! ).
I am seriousy desperate as my spine is full of 'bolts & screws' and the pain
is hardly controlled at best - 35 pounds more weight is not an option!
Living in a small country ' village ' in South Africa means the nearest endo
is 5 hours away ( I saw him when I landed up in hospital when very hyper )
He will not just answer telephone calls - I will need to get to him for e g
dose variation advice.  Here I go 2 a small public hospital with 4-5 hours
wait 2 see a doctor ( there is 1 doctor and 2 training drs.& you all - yes,
all 3 drs. with their pts, sit in 1 little room together! not much can get
done!!!! ) We get a very limited range of generic products only at a
goverment hospital clinic & then you need to keep a few in reserve in case
they run out of stock!   We do not have  private heathcare except for 'in
hospital' procedures. Whatever money I use for medication I try to keep for
the analgesics my neurosurgen found works best for me , without which I
struggle to stay on my feet for the day!  I am thrilled at your site as I
can at last get first hand experience and 'day to day live with hypo'
advise!

If there are other South Africans on the site, I would love to know, as we
don't seem to know the options as well as some other places ( or am I just
going to the wrong medical practioners or, as I gather from the site, are
the problems so varied and difficult to get sorted out )

Lynette Battaglia
stayover@wayfarers .co.za