From:
Joan McLean <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joan McLean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:31:58 -0400

I have learned that going Gluten Free and knowledge of Celiac Disease is wide
spread throughout Scotland.  Even going for fast food was easy...

We stayed at small hotels and B & B's in Gretna Green, Glasgow, Onich, Nairn
and Stirling.  Breakfasts that were included in all our stays were worry free
and delicious!  If visiting Scotland email your desired B&B ahead of time - they
will work with you! I could get Gluten Free food in small stores as well as their
larger supermarkets.  All the restaurants we visited could accommodate the
menu to me once I let them know what I needed.  Food labels are much
better in the UK!  I ate some great meals, here are some of the places of note:

Crossways Inn, Gretna Green:  Baked Potato w/tuna

Ketchup on Ashton Lane in Glasgow:  A hamburger place that served
hamburgers minus the bun with some very unique toppings.  The also do
lettuce wraps. French fries (the best I've ever had, were GF).  They also have
great salads...

Ottos: On Byers Road, Glasgow:  Had a wonderful fish dinner there

Restaurant at the Onich Hotel, nr Ft. William:  Wonderful!  Steak dinner one
night and salmon the next.  Great hotel with beautiful gardens right on the
water!

Braeval Hotel, Bandstand Restaurant, in Nairn:  Very accommodating with a
good choice of meals, knowledgeable staff - right on the water

The Old Bridge Inn, Stirling:  A fantastic place, regular GF menu, as well as
substituting the menu, lots of atmosphere!

Don't hesitate to visit Scotland, I had a wonderful, worry free trip!