From:
Janet Lowery <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Lowery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2008 00:34:57 -0500

My apologies for taking so long to summarize the results from my post back
in November! Thank you everyone that replied!!

www.gatlinburg.com, www.sevierville.com and www.pigeonforge.com have lists
of restaurants in the area with addresses, phone numbers and websites to
help you plan your dining.

Dining Recommendations from the Listserv:
Whole Earth Grocery - www.wholeearthgrocery.com
Linebergerıs Seafood Co. - www.linebergersseafood.com
The Park Grill - www.peddlerparkgrill.com
Bullfish Grill - www.bullfishgrill.com
The Chop House - www.thechophouse.com
The Alamo Steakhouse - www.alamosteakhouse.com
Outback Steakhouse - www.outback.com
Puleos Grill - www.puleosgrill.com
Bennettıs Pit Bar-B-Que - www.bennetts-bbq.com
Veranda Restaurant at the Aquarium - www.ripleysaquariumofthesmokies.com

Our Experience:
We found a very accommodating McDonaldıs in Maryville TN by the mall for
dinner on the drive to the mountains. The manager put on clean plastic
gloves to place a burger patty and cheese in a box. We also stopped here
again on the way home for lunch.

Our hotel, The Sidney James, had a small refrigerator plus a small table in
the room. We took a cooler of food and a toaster oven to prepare breakfasts
and lunches. Breakfast consisted of hard boiled eggs, pre-cooked bacon,
cereal or Kinnikinnick toast. For lunch, we had sandwiches on Bread by Anna
buns, pizza on Kinnikinnick pizza crust, or AllergyFree Grocery chicken
nuggets (found at Kroger).

My sister-in-law made Thanksgiving Day reservations for The Comedy Barn and
then dinner at Corkyıs Bar-B-Que in Pigeon Forge. I spoke with the
hostess/owner, whoıs husband was the chef, about my sonıs diet. The chef
cleaned the grill and made him grilled catfish with corn on the cob and
green beans. His meal was served before the rest of us had a chance to
order! Bar-B-Que turkey would not have been my first choice for a
Thanksgiving dinner, but my son was happy with his fish, after all, fish was
served at the very first Thanksgiving with the pilgrims and indians, you
know.

We went to The Park Grill on Parkway in Gatlinburg right next to the
entrance into the Smokey Mountain National Park. It is a very large log
cabin with a lot of rustic atmosphere. The waiter was very attentive and
helpful. My son ordered the grilled mountain trout (without seasonings) and
grilled vegetables (without seasonings), plus the salad bar which was
incredible! It was very large with lots of fresh vegetable and fruit
options. There was only one pasta bowl on the entire 20 feet-long bar, plus
the croutons and crackers were kept on the ends after the plates were
filled, so the cross-contamination risk was very low. In addition to the
containers of house dressings, they had individual packets of Paul Newman
dressings.

We did a few of the touristy things like Ripleyıs Aquarium (wonderful!),
Ripleyıs Believe It or Not museum (OK, not worth the money) and Ripleyıs
Putt Putt (fun but cold!).

We did not have time to visit Dollywood on this trip, so I unfortunately I
donıt have any information about eating in the park. However, at
www.dollywood.com the FAQ states that coolers, food and drink are not
allowed to be taken into the park and that special dietary needs should be
addressed with the Safety Office prior to arrival. The general information
phone number is 1-800-365-5996.