From:
steeplechase19 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
steeplechase19 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2008 14:50:40 -0400

Good Day,

I wrote to the list a year ago about the osteoporosis drug Forteo.  Many of you were kind enough to share your experiences and feelings about this drug.  Others asked for a summary.

It was suggested for my husband as his bone density in the spine and hip were quite low and dropping each year.  Blood tests showed no obvious reason for this, weight training and exercise did not increase his density, nor did supplemental Calcium, Vit. D, Boron, Magnesium, etc.  He eats a very healthy diet of many vegetables, fruits, yogurt, lean meats and fish.
Forteo is a self-injected daily medication that has been shown to increase density but currently the use of this medication is restricted to a 2 year limit.  The medication is quite expensive--over $900 per month and many insurance companies are balking at coverage for it.

After much concern and thought, he did decide to start Forteo.
His most recent Bone Density test was done after 10 months as our radiologist was leaving this area and it was felt it was important to do the follow-up studies on the original machine for the most accurate comparison.

People on the list who had tolerated the drug reported quite wonderful results and we were very hopeful.  His doctors were very enthused with the results as we were-----
He had increased 10% in the spine and 4% in the hip area.

He was very diligent about the injections and never missed one over the 10 months, while continuing diet, supplements, weight training/exercise, etc.  He had no side effects or problems with the medication though some people do, especially at the start-up.

Unfortunately, the insurance company is looking to cut his coverage off due to his great response as 12% gain would be about the max. expected and they feel he can use another less expensive medication to maintain what he has gained.  The doctor has written on his behalf but doubts they will cover even 6 months further.

Many of you asked for a summary.....it has worked well for him to date and he would like to continue.  We have been told everyone does not get this positive response and some people are just termed as "non-responders".  Additionally his doctor told us the gain is usually less if you have been on other "bone" medications prior to Forteo.

So, for the present, his experience was most positive with no
downside.   Hopefully this information helps some of you who are debating Forteo.
Carol