Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2007 21:32:10 -0400

Hi all,

A friend of mine just called with some questions about DH. Since I don't have
that form, I'm not too familiar with it so I'm hoping I can pick your brains. Last
year, she was diagnosed with a rare inflammatory disorder called Lichen
Planopilaris (LPP) which causes scalp hair loss. She is on long-term antibiotics
(minocycline). She recently developed intensely itchy knees and elbows, along
with bumps on her fingers. She described the bumps as almost like warts or
mosquito bites. At her dermatology appointment today, she pointed out these
problems. Her dermatologist's theory was DH, but then told her not to worry
about it. She, knowing me and what my life is like (ha ha), couldn't help but
worry.

Does this sound like DH in any way? Does anybody have a good source of
pictures of typical DH rashes? Has anyone ever had that type of reaction from
that particular antibiotic? (She's been on them for a long time, but is just now
getting this reaction). What is the standard diagnosis for DH - blood test, skin
biopsy or both?

I suggested she get tested, just for peace of mind, but any insight from those
with DH would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kristin