IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:32:13 -0800
From: Cecile

These “shouts” in the media and on internet posts
are flung out, striking here and there. It’s
guns. It’s mental illness. It’s right-wing news media. It’s Sarah Palin.

But the reason for this troubled young man’s
behavior is obvious: the support he needed was non-existent.

People in both high school and college with lots
of exposure to that age group noticed his
distress and some even took action. The college
suspended him until he got some medical
attention, but what further needed to be done?
His teachers and instructors didn’t take any
extra steps. The family wasn’t up to the
challenge. Where in the community was the one
available, affordable, accessible organization,
non-profit, health clinic, agency…the one social
worker or friend or therapist or doctor?

And why isn’t anyone asking these questions?

Why, when we know people under stress are helped
by caring responses, weren’t there people and
places in Tucson for him to go to and get help?
Why aren’t we questioning budget allocations,
civic spending, health care accessibility,
treatment options, ethical and compassionate
community, educational, spiritual, and medical responses.

Because we know deep down this is the reason­an
economic tinge to a situation that means help is
not there when people need it. That scares us to the bone.

Does your community have a place for troubled youth to go to?

www.peoplewho.org