From:
Eric Clegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:08:42 -0700
Hello Bill,
Here is Eric Clegg KU3I.

I happen to be an apartment dweller in Sacramento, California.

Since I too am an apartment dweller I figured we might be able to help each
other out.

I'm planning to set up a qrp station and have a balcony with a nice metal
railing upon which I can mount something.

I came across this review of an MFJ antenna system on eham.

Thought it might be of help to you.

best 73,

Eric
KU3I

KC2GYP
Rating: 5/5
Feb 25, 2006 05:45
Send this review to a friend
Amazing antenna
Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Here's the story: I'd been looking for a simple, portable low power (up to
25w for QRP work) antenna for a while. I'd been using the rather pricey
($229)

but unsatisfactory Outbacker Joey. The design is one of an epoxy coated
series of coils accessed through a series of 'taps' that you plug a silver
plated

connector from the base of the antenna into for the right frequency. Further
adjustmet was through a stainless steel 'stinger' that you tightened via a

knurled thumb screw as you adjusted for SWR. It was okay at best.

I'd looked at the ATX walkabout which was designed by an English firm (I
believe) for the Yaesu FT-817 as a portable antenna for HF but the reviews
here

were so-so. And at $119 or so it was a bit high. It, too worked the
different bands via a connector. It attached to the FT 817 typically on the
top of

the rig as it had a BNC connector.

Then about a week ago, I spotted the MFJ 1899T. While MFJ claimed it was
designed for the FT 817, it also seemed perfect for the ICOM 703+, an HF
plus

6m QRP rig. Again the design similar to the Joey and the ATX in that it
covered a wide range of HF (the $229 Joey doesn't cover 6m by the way)
through

a series of 'taps' that the user plugs a connector wire into to achieve
resonance on the various bands. The construction which consisted of a base
of a

series of coils and a longish, very extendable whip seemed substantial. As
was the BNC connector at the base. The whole unit collapses to about 18
inches

or so. So it doesn't take up much space and is very packable.

Unlike the Joey and more like the ATX walkabout, the top of the antenna
(which extends to about 58" in total) is a collapsable whip. So SWR
adjustment

is easy. The instructions give you precise lengths for each band that you
can quickly adjust for optimal SWR on each band.

Now for the neat part. When I bought the Joey, I also bought (and still
available from many retailers) the Joey 'tripod'. This is a VERY well built,
polycarbonate

folding base with a rugged dual SO-239 connector which you connect the Joey
and the feedline. The tripod also comes with a very ruggedly built
counterpoise

which you can add additional ones to through a wing nut arrangement on the
base (it's connected electrically via a substantial aluminum plate). I know

AES carries it but check with your fave retailer first, of course.

Since the MFJ 1899T has a BNC male end for attaching (remember, it was
designed for the top of the FT 817) I bought a simple PL259/female BNC
adapter.

(MFJ, by the way, provides instructions via a PDF file to create additional
counterpoises for the antenna: www.mfjenterprises.com/man/pdf/MFJ-1899T.pdf

)

Okay, now the part you've been waiting for. The performance.

I connected the whole thing to my FT 857 first to listen.

The reception on ALL bands was ASTOUNDING. Very clear all across the HF/6M
spectrum as well as all frequencies from .5 to 30 Mhz.

I then decided to give it a little test on the transmitting side. Set it up
for 80m. BOOM clear transmission with little trouble. Also on 40m, 20m, 15m

and 10m. I was hitting all over the globe. Very impressive for an antenna
like this.

While I'd read some comments saying the antenna might not perform as well as
the ATX or Joey, the reviews were from a cursory (it looked like a cheaper

version of...) but not from ACTUAL use.

I had excellent results running just 10w out of my FT 857 (I plan to buy an
ICOM 703+ off Ebay) to the South and Europe with little problems under what

I had heard were not so hot conditions band-wise.

I highly recommend this antenna for portable use. But to get the most out of
it, I STRONGLY suggest you also purchase the tripod made for the OUTBACKER

Joey, and get the PL259/Female BNC adapter. With the Joey's supplied
counterpoise (which you can aim opposite to the direction you wish to
transmit to

get a little more directivity) or constructing the array of counterpoises (a
cluster of wires of varying length that MFJ recommends) you will have a fine

antenna to reach a lot of the world from just about any location on earth
when portable. The adjustable whip makes fine tuning SWR a breeze.

Sorry for going on so long, but I was really impressed by this antenna.

Cheers

Peter