VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ray Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ray Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2008 13:19:49 -0500
Hi Harry:

This is an excellent idea.  I have long thought that ACB should set up
some sort of technology grant fund for this purpose.

Here are a few ideas and questions I have:
1.  Individuals should not be allowed to utilize monies from this fund
until all other resources are exhausted.  This fund should not, for
example, be seen as a way for employers to shirk their responsibility to
reasonably accommodate people.  Nor should it be seen as a way for VR to
get out of doing their job and helping with accommodations.  I could see
a fund like this such that individuals could get grants or loans to help
with technology for home use as there aren't usually resources to pay
for that.
2.  Question: who would administer such a fund -- doing all the things
that need to be done like writing grants, fundraising, and qualifying
individuals to see if they are eligible for help?  You need to remember
most people in ACB or NFB chapters are volunteers who may or may not
have experience doing this stuff.  What might work is for ACB, NFB or
its chapters to set up funds in partnership with local agencies who
could provide staff to handle administration work.
3.  I'd like to see explored why other companies don't allow individuals
to make payments like GW does.  Freedom Scientific is a huge company,
yet they don't.  I'm just using Freedom as an example, there are others
I could name.

Just my thoughts.  This is a great idea, and one which ought to be
pursued.

Ray Campbell, Help Desk Technician
Adaptive Technology Center
Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
1850 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL  60608
312-997-3651 (Voice/Relay) or
888-825-0080 (voice/Relay)