VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:59:40 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Dr. Ronald E. Milliman [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 12:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Subject: [leadership] Out of the box IE8 will not work correctly with JAWS
or Window-Eyes

A good friend of mine just sent me this important warning this morning that
I need to share with you.  -- Ron M.

***

Ron,

Shannon and I have been talking about the number of people who just can't
resist trying the IE8 beta.  Be forewarned, here is a message from a
visually impaired member of the Microsoft IE8 team:

-----

I work for the IE team, although my personal address is subscribed to this
list. Out of the box IE8 will not work correctly with JAWS or Window-Eyes
entirely. There's a section in the release notes called Assistive
Technology at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949787
that goes through steps
you need to take to get screen readers to work.

With JAWS on XP and Vista, you'll get a single button if you don't follow
these steps where you should have web page content. The button will talk
about going to parent document but it won't do anything. Also, the menus
will not speak correctly.

With Window-Eyes, on Vista, the web page will be blank and if you turn off
browse mode, it won't turn back on. Window-Eyes on XP works a bit better
but all web pages will incorrectly report that they have an international
domain.

Also, as the release notes point out, the developer tools do not yet work in
high contrast mode or with a keyboard. Unles you are comfortable with your
screen reader's mouse reading functions (JAWS cursor, or WE mouse pointer)
you won't get much from these tools.

Kelly

Steve, K8SP

Dr. Ronald E. Milliman, Professor of Marketing, Western Kentucky University

		**Chair, ACB Public Relations Committee
**Chair, ACB Monthly Monetary Support Program (MMS) Committee

--
Join the Monthly Monetary Support program (MMS) and help improve tomorrow
today in ACB.

This message has come to you from the ACB Leadership List:  a special
List for use by the leadership of the American Council of the Blind.
This communication is privileged and may contain confidential
information intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed.
Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, other distribution of this
communication is strictly prohibited and may result in immediate removal
from the List.  If you have received this message in error, please
notify ACB immediately by writing to [log in to unmask]

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]