IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:01:21 -0800
“... if no one with a mental illness committed a
violent act, we would still have 95-97 percent of
the baseline level of violence,” Appelbaum said.
“However you cut it, it looks as though we’re
just talking about the tip of the iceberg in
terms of problems of violence in our society,
which raises the quite reasonable question as to
why we’re so focused on the mentally ill?”

Not only is that focus a distraction, he adds,
but it comes with the significant downside of
further stigmatizing people with mental illness
and confusing the public as to the notion that
mental illness is a significant cause of violence in this country.

“To take an approach which has substantial costs
­ the states are spending a lot of money on these
databases ­ and implement it without any evidence
suggesting that it’s likely to be effective, and
in fact a good deal of inferential reason to
believe that it’s not likely to be effective,”
Appelbaum said, “is simply not good public policy.”

<http://www.miller-mccune.com/politics/are-more-gun-laws-for-mentally-ill-off-target-26967/>http://www.miller-mccune.com/politics/are-more-gun-laws-for-mentally-ill-off-target-26967/