From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2008 09:48:06 -0600
hmmm, you should be able to adjust your plate control to reduce power
without drastically effecting the tubes longevity.
Also, does the 201 not have a processer onboard?  If so, you can use the
mike gain to reduce power, and the processer to insure maximum output at
that level without having the inherent problems that low mic gain will
cause.
If no processer, then some sort of combination between lowered mike gain and
adjusting the plate or load controls should help to get your power down to
the "legal" limit for your license class.
Of course, the load and plate also effect the receiver so you'll have to
figure some workable combination out there.
Also I can't quite understand how running tubes at a fraction of their
output capability could actually reduce their longevity.
in the audio world, running tubes at lower voltages and reduced output
actually makes them last longer.
regards
Colin