From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2008 08:48:39 -0400
Fred,

I'm new to the amp game.  As Steve and John both said, ALC will prevent
overdriving but  may not be needed if the input is set properly.  My amp's
manual bears this out as it says that ALC may not be needed if drive  power
and mic gain are set properly  at the transceiver.

You asked how ALC adjustments are made.  Again, according to  the THP
manual:  With the proper ALC connections made between rig and amp, and the
rig set properly, transmit full output power from the amp into a dummy load.
Slowly turn the ALC adjustment knob on the amp until output power just
starts to drop off.  Stop at that point or continue turning the knob to
further limit output power.

73, Steve KW3A