THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Graciela Spivak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 08:50:08 -0800
On Wed, 5 Feb 1997, Anita Shirlock wrote:

> I had my thyroid levels done (hypothyroidism).
>
> All levels were in the normal range except TSH, which is "less than .03"
> ---- whatever that means.  So.....does anyone understand what it means who
> could explain it to me?

TSH is Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, made by the pituitary gland in the
brain.  When thyroid is low (hypothyroidism), more TSH is sent into the
bloodstream to get the thyroid to kick up production, and is detected in
the test as a sign of low thyroid function.  A low TSH level means that
either the thyroid levels in blood are normal or high, or that the
pituitary is not working properly.