THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lillian Kepp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 08:07:26 PST
The TSH test stands for Thyroid Stimulating Hormone.  This is
produced by the pituitary gland in response to the amount of thyroid
hormone in the body.

If the TSH is low, it could mean several things.

Your Pituitary isn't working right.

You already have too much thyroid hormone in your body and so the
pituitary doesn't need to produce any TSH.

If your other thyroid levels were in the normal range it could be
because your thyroid isn't working right and you are taking
Synthroid or another thyroid hormone and are taking more than enough
pills to compensate or if you are not on throid hormone pills, your
thyroid may be overactive and producing enough hormone with the
limited stimulus from the pituitary gland.

If the latter is the case, I would think you would probably become
hyperthyroid some time in the future.

I'm not a Dr. or in any medical field.  Just have a thyroid problem
myself.

Lillian Kepp