THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Liz Maxson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 06:45:22 -0600
Thanks for reminding everyone (and I should have said so) that just
because you have a symptom of one thing, doesn't mean it can't be caused
by something else.  The endocrinologists did extensive testing  on me (2
years, 23 meds, scans with radio-active iodine, etc.) before finally
coming to the conclusion that I did, indeed have Hashimoto's.  However,
it was the magazine article that triggered my questions to the Dr. initially.

I will also tell you that because I became so interested in the role
nutrition plays in our health, that I finally located a medical dr. who
practiced preventive medicine.  After the tests he ran on me (which were
controversial at the time) indicated a severe deficiency in zinc, he
prescribed 6 times the recommended daily allowance of zinc for me for 6
mos.  During that time, my adult acne cleared up, and has remained fairly
clear since.  Occasionally, when it flares up, I take 2 zinc tabs (15 mg.
each), and it goes away.  I must warn you, though, never take excessive
amounts of any nutritional supplement without being watched carefully by
your physician.  It can be very dangerous.

 Liz