THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Cathy Bacchus." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 02:24:46 -0400
To Stacy ([log in to unmask]):

This is my first time responding to e-mail about Thyroid.  I am new to this
account and can't believe all the great messages I am reading.  I thought I
would give you my 2 cents worth of advice, because five years ago I was
experiencing the same thing you are.  Except my problem started with a
goiter.  My father noticed the goiter in my neck in the summertime and I
waited till October to have it checked out.  It never bothered me, but my
parents kept at me to have it checked out.  (My dad was familiar with a
goiter because he had one, but he got some pills to take and it went away)
Well, I did not have the same luck.  After having an ultra-sound, a biopsy,
and other lab tests, the doctor decided to go in and remove it.  While
removing the goiter the doctor noticed I had cancer on my thryoid, no where
near the goiter!  Thyroid cancer does not run in my family.  No one has
ever been diagnosed with it.  My entire family was shocked and since then
have been checked themselves.  I was only 26 years old at the time and
couldn't beleive that I had cancer.  If it wasn't for the goiter, who knows
where the cancer could have spread, because I had no symptoms.  I am know
on 225 mg of synthroid and feeling ok.  I did have to have two radiation
treatments after the surgery to make sure all the cancer was gone.  I now
have yearly scans to make sure it doesn't come back.
If I were you, I would definately have your thyroid checked out thoroughly!
Good Luck!

Cathy