THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Esther Lerch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 1997 10:48:32 -0500
Hello folks,

This is my first posting to the list.  I was dignosed with Hashimoto's about
a month ago and have been on synthroid for almost 3 weeks.  Please excuse
this enumeration of somewhat unrelated issues, but I don't have the big
pictue yet.  Plus, from what I've seen so far, most of you will be able to
relate.

1.  Energy levels:  Sometimes I feel OK when I wake up in the morning, and
the first time this happened it seemed nearly miraculous after 2 years of
crushing lethargy.  But I just can't count on it to last more than a few
hours.  Also, sometimes the energy is boosted only in one aspect -- mood,
productive energy (rarely, alas!), etc.

2.  Other symptoms:  Weight gain -- no change here.  Joint/muscle pains --
worse if anything.  Memory -- still a bit of a mental fog.  Chest pains --
almost gone.  Constant headache -- almost gone.  Pressure in
throat/hoarseness -- gone!  Depression -- much improved.

3.  Frustration with doctors:  The endo I'm seeing has made the diagnosis
without taking a full battery of tests -- TSH only.  I had a palpable goiter
plus I'm the typical gender and age range for Hashimoto's.  But if my TSH
goes down on synthroid but I'm still not well, what do I say?  (This is the
kind of doctor who'd say, OK, your TSH is 5.4.  You're fixed, go home.)
What tests do I ask for?  What medications can help (I'm thinking T3 here)?

Even better, does someone know a good Dr in the NYC area??  Can you
recommend a book accessible to intelligent laypeople that describes tests
and diagnostic criteria?

4.  Is there an organization for thyroid patients that is open to treatment
alternatives and does not spout the medical/pharmaceutical industry party
line?  I'm willing to be my own advocate and to do my own research if necessary.

5.  Mysterious related syndromes I've never heard of before:  Fibromyalgia
-- I asked the chiro who's been treating me for a shoulder injury (and is a
friend of mine) about this.  He said, yep, you've got that.  HELLO????  Oh,
yes.  That's why all of your athletic injuries have become chronic.  I
checked a FM website and there is even a page about the "FM personality,"
which I should tape to my mirror.  (The chiro asked for a copy, which I was
happy to give him.)  He stated also that I must get my overall health
picture turned around, or I'm liable to fall victim to CFS as well.  That
can't be.  Can it?

Wilson's syndrome.  The picture may also include this.  Why is Wilson's
looked at askance, even more than these other conditions?

Help me out here, folks.  How can people people go on for years, sometimes
even being treated contemptuously by the medical establishment, when they
are suffering from debilitating physical illnesses which are treatable??
Where do you go to get the big picture?  Maybe listening to you folks and
learning from your experiences will be part of it.

I'm really glad that this list is here!

Esther