THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Liz Maxson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 21:17:05 -0600
I became concerned about my general health after reading the research on
nutrasweet (aspartame).  I just plugged in the generic term, aspartame,
into one of the search engines and took off.  I don't have all the facts
in front of me, but it appears that when aspartame gets warm (such as a
can of diet soda might do sitting in the sunlight on a truck, the
nutrasweet no longer exists.  It has already broken down into 3 major
toxins.  One is wood alcohol, one is formaldehyde (sp?), and I don't
recall the other.  Anyway, one attacks the eyes, and one heads for the
brain, causing vision difficulties and memory loss.  It really is an
eye-opener reading about the damage aspartame can cause in some people!
My doctor made no cautions, except to say I would be able to gain, but
not lose (that was wrong,also).

Liz Maxson