THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Joan S." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 1997 13:11:32 +0100
Helen:
        I've been down this road and can't describe the difference new doctors
can make. My endo is female and was open to discussing the subject, but
somewhat negative about adding male hormones to my meds. She mentioned
several "natural" substances that her patients had used and I began
taking oil of evening primrose, and have noticed an improvement. At my
request she referred me to new gyn (also female). What a breath of fresh
air!!!! As part of her routine questions she asked about my sex life.
She is more than willing to change my hormone replacement to include
testostrogen (sp.?). I'm waiting awhile because I'm not thrilled with
the possible side effects.
        Having 2 drs to discuss this with openly has made a BIG emotional
difference. My husband and I are talking about it from different view
points, and everything is improving. My young male interist and my
former gyn (male) were of NO HELP at all on this topic. One seemed
embarrassed by the topic and one disinterested. Having drs who can talk
about this openly, and make you feel like others are facing the same
issue has made the situation much better.
        Between age 46 and 50 I had to adjust to severe arthritic problems (my
hips are nearly destroyed), menopause and Hasimoto's. I feel like I've
begun feeling emotionally solid again. Reading the postings here and
understanding how other people have restored balance to their lives has
helped enormously. I hope you can find drs to help you.

Joan S.