THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Skippper Beers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 12:17:32 -0700
From: Holly Jagger

>To make a long story short, my endo is having me stop taking Synthroid, a
>trial without it, to assess any symptoms and to determine whether continued
>treatment is appropriate.

It's insane, if you are hypothyroid.

If your doctor put you on Synthroid, just to see if you got better on it, then it might make some sense.

However, there are issues here to consider -

1.  Addison's Disease can produce hypothyroid type symptoms.

2.  Hypothyroidism can produce Addison's type symptoms.

3.  Correct levels of cortisol are necessary for T4 to T3 conversion.

4.  The above statement means to me that a T3 product would be more certain to work for someone who is both hypothyroid and hypoadrenal.

5.  Too low a dose of Synthroid can exacerbate or cause hypothyroid symptoms according to Synthroid literature, so if you are not on enough, it can actually make your condition worse.  It's likely that being on the wrong type of thyroid medication (Synthroid when you need Armour) could have a similar effect.)

6.  If symptoms come back, it's not always right away.  Therefore a six week trial might be irrelevant.  When a doctor cut my dosage, I gradually slipped away so slowly, I didn't blame it on the lowering of the dose, because it didn't happen over night.

7.  If you are hypothyroid and don't take your medicine, you can go into a coma, or simply die.

8.  Doc Don said something to the extent one time, that it seems like the first thing to go is the system that helps you recognize how bad off you are.

9.  Start talking slowly, thinking slowly, run to a doctor who will treat you.

10.  Fluoride is bad for thyroid function.  I think but am not 100% certain that Florinef is a fluorinated drug.  The only one I've ever taken was Cipro, and it practically killed me in 3 days.  Recently some doctors noted the fact that going on Cipro made patients hypothyroid until it was withdrawn.  They didn't understand why.  I don't know if you need Florinef, since it's just an additional corticosteroid, but since fluoride used to be used as anti-thyroid medication, it's probably a bad idea to stop thyroid treatment because of that.  (I've read some doctors give Florinef just so they can lower the dose of hydrocortisone.)  Actually, since fluoride is the active ingredient in the ant traps I recently bought, I know that what the opponents of fluoride say about fluoride being an insecticide is true.  I would stop the florinef if it is fluorinated, and if I could do so.  A toxin is a toxin.

Skipper

Having been told to stop it 'cold turkey,' I did
not take this morning's dose. He said it would be about 4-6 weeks before we
can assess the difference.

I just read something online re: 'tapering off' Synthroid. Half dose for
three days, then quarter dose for two days. Is there a protocol here?
Perhaps the slower taper is advisable, to allow the pituitary to adjust to
the new demand with tsh production?

your help appreciated
Holly

End of THYROID Digest - 27 Jun 2005 to 30 Jun 2005 (#2005-78)