THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
DEANNA BERMAN <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 03:25:45 EDT
General USP information on thyroid hormones includes under "Side/Adverse
Effects":
        _Those indicating need for medical attention_/Incidence rare:
                Allergic reaction (skin rash or hives) - along with other
reactions related to too high dosage (or dosage not increased gradually
enough.

Not only Synthroid, but any thyroid formulation can do this. The start of
a new prescription is the most likely time for it to happen.

Please everybody, READ those patient information inserts that come with
your new prescriptions; demand them if they're not right there with the
meds. As we become more sophisticated about and more frustrated with
thyroid treatment, we may view some of this information with skepticism,
but I don't think it's prudent to follow any of the various alternative
treatment ideas until one has a basic understanding of the thyroid and
its functioning. Also, there are quite a few websites that have
explanations of the basics of thyroid, related diseases, tests, etc.
They've probably been posted numerous times before, so I won't bother
again.

Deanna

Deanna