THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Laura Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 May 1997 14:37:09 -0700
Diane Fisher wrote:
>   Every
> season when the weather changed until my freshman year in college, I
> would get tonsillitis.  My doctor kept saying that the tonsils would have
> to come out the next but no one ever quite got around to it.

Diane,
        I always got strep throat or severe tonsillitis every spring and
fall.  I also get the pus pockets.  I have concluded that it was always
allergy (another autoimmune malady) related.  I have always been very
allergic to anything in the air, but particularly sensitive to spring
blooming trees, and ragweed (fall).  The spring and fall are also always
the most busy time of year for me and so between the physical stress I
put myself under, and the natural stress of fighting off allergens, I get
sick.  I usually starts with a runny nose, then to post nasal drip (pus
pockets start here), then to bigger and more awful things.  My neck and
jaw glands would swell as an infection would progress.
        Recognizing that pattern now, I am able to avoid much of my "sick
time" by taking better care of myself when I realize my body is being
over stressed.  If Mother Nature is working against me (pollen), I make
it a point to get more sleep, eat better, not miss my vitamins and take
my antihisitimine/decongestants.  If I don't.... I pay by getting sick,
and I end up in bed anyhow.
        I don't know if my allergies triggered my  hypo thyroid, or vice
versa.  But I am convinced they are related.  I have always described
myself as operating under 80% power and blamed it on asthma and
antihistimines ... but now that I have been diagnosed hypo thyroid, it
makes me think that there may be hope to get full energy some day; if I
can fix the thyroid thing.

Laura