THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pauline Lathram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 May 1997 09:00:00 -0400

<< YES, I have had prblems with my tonsils for, it seems, forever!  I get
 tonsilitis every year also, and the doctors won't take them out.  I had my
 entire thyroid removed five years ago and seem to have more sore throats
 and tonsilitis more frequently since the operation.  I always wondered if
 there was a connection with my "missing" thyroid and the awful tonsilitis I
 get every year. Hmmmmm!  I am interested in hearing more........

In my daughter's case, this kind of thing happened in reverse.  She had her
tonsils removed 10 years ago.  That stopped the tonsillitis but started the
sinus infections, massive uses of antibiotics, etc.  In retrospect, I feel
that the tonsillectomy and two weeks of eating very little except fluids led
to a T4 to T3 conversion problem that "stuck"  This led to the sinus
infections.  Since being on T3 she has only had one sinus infection over the
winter, and for the first time in YEARS, one round of antibiotics knocked it
out.  Not enough ammo for a New England Journal article, but enough for me!!
 BL