From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 2008 07:54:15 -0700
  There are two reasons why we can't just go ahead and use those additional
128 characters directly.  One is that some older computing/communications
equipment uses that eighth bit for its own purposes.
  The other is that some characters represent "control does" that might get
interpreted or translated in moving from system to system.  There are some
of these in the standard ASCII 128 as well -- carrigae return, backspace,
and so on -- and so those get "quoted" as well when this method is used.

David Gillett