NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Weavre Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2008 18:08:52 -0400
Hello, Ilene, et al.,

I have to agree with Karin on this one, in a big way. Identifying my
teen/adult health problems as a continuation of the dairy allergy they
mistakenly thought I outgrew in childhood, made me much, much healthier. It
also made my allergic reactions progressively worse. The better I got at
avoiding dairy, the healthier I got--but the more severe the reactions were
when I had them. My allergist says this is generally the case, actually, and
I've heard the same from others.

Also, since I'll personally vouch for the proliferation of dairy dust
floating around the grocery store, hiding on doorknobs in unexpected places,
etc., I don't know how one would continue to participate in the modern
Western world while successfully avoiding *all* possible dairy exposure in
any quantity. The only lifestyle I can imagine to achieve that would be to
isolate myself somewhere far, far away from dairy sources and raise all my
own food, as even the mail carrier might unknowingly bring someone's Doritos
dust along with any other deliveries. Anything less drastic would mean
coming into contact with at least minute quantities of dairy particles. I'm
not willing to do that, so I continue to bump into dairy particles and react
to them. Anaphylaxis is no fun, but I can't live as an isolated hermit,
either!

I wouldn't discourage your friend from trying her plan, though, Ilene,
especially as "staying away from ALL dairy related stuff" is the general
advice for most people with dairy allergies anyway. But, when she's done it
for a year and wants to challenge herself, please recommend she do so in her
allergist's office. They do in-office food challenges for children with
allergies that might be outgrown, and so forth, so they'd probably be
willing to supervise this--and that choice of location could save her life
if the outcome's not as she hopes.

Weavre Cooper