John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 1 Jun 2008 18:20:24 -0400
Phil, this isn't directly answering your question, but I think that SLI and
Crossfire systems are a bit over-rated.  By this I mean that they really
only find their purpose for someone who is building a top end system that
will include more than one video card from its conception.  Most of us will
get plenty of 3D horsepower from a single video card.  While you often hear
the rationale that "I might want to add a second card later", by the time
that a user needs more 3D rendering power, they will be better served with
newer generation single video card, instead of trying to find a card to run
in SLI or crossfire mode with their original card.

One of the problems with SLI and Crossfire is that the amount of boost in
fps that you'll get by adding an additional card is highly dependent on the
application being run.  If you are intent upon running a multiple video card
rig, I'd suggest that you check the benchmarks that your favorite games
achieve in SLI vs Crossfire configurations to help you decide which brand of
video chip to go with.

Both ATI/AMD and Nvidia offer mutlichip single card solutions now.  These
give you the benefits of a SLI or a Crossfire configuration on a single
card.  Since they only use one slot, they will run on any decent motherboard
with a 16x PCI-E slot.

Personally, if I were shopping for a system upgrade built around an Intel
processor, I would stick with the Intel chipsets.  This will rule out SLI,
but I wouldn't be concerned too much about that.  I would just pick the best
single video card in my budget.  The prices have really fallen on the high
mid-range video cards.  For example, I bought a 8800 GT back in January for
around $260.  This still excellent card can be found going for as little as
$160, now.  (I suppose at that price, picking up two of them for an SLI
configuration doesn't sound that outrageous.)

I'm not sure that PCI-E 2.0 is an upgrade that most of us will be able to
see any improvements from  It provides for higher throughput than original
PCI-E motherboards, but I don't think many of us could point to any
bottlenecks in their system's performance due to lack of PCI-E bandwidth.

John Sproule