From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 21:39:20 -0400
On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 17:38:36 -0700, Ron Hoggan, Ed. D. <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>... I did not realize that it was blood
>calcium that was appropriated to buffer acidic contents of the small
>intestine.

Actually, that was a guess on my part as to how the calcium gets from the
bones to the duodenum. I should have said extracellular fluids to be on the
safe side. The body tries to maintain homeostasis of electrolytes in
extracellular fluids such as blood, but also interstitial fluid
(http://www.scribd.com/doc/11467743/Electrolyte-Homeostasis).

>Based on our combined conjectures and information, I am suspecting that at
>least some of us experience an evolutionary preference for increased
>saturated fats over alkaline dietary components.

Perhaps, and that might partly explain why some people do better on VLC
diets than others, but I don't know. The damage that modern diets do could
also be a factor.

> I've been very low carb for
>the last few weeks and just like you and the fellow whose journal you were
>reading, I've noticed that my teeth have tightened up. I have partial
>plates, top and bottom, and have a dental apptment next month to bind some
>of my own teeth together to hold my top plate more firmly. When I read your
>post, I realized that my top plate hasn't been moving around like it was
>before. I'm not going to cancel the dental apptment., as I still believe it
>will be better for me in the long run, but I find it most encouraging to
>notice such results.

I would actually consider postponing the appointment, if it were me, to see
how far your improvements go without a permanent dental procedure, because
the extent of the tightening in a short time surprised me. My teeth are also
straighter and better aligned, despite no change in my retainer. You do have
at least a month to monitor your progress. It's a little over a month since
I went essentially ZC/carnivorous (literally maybe 1-2% carbs early
on--probably less than 1% now) and my teeth are already much firmer than
they were. I used to be able to wiggle 3 of them with just my tongue. I
can't do that anymore.

>I have made copies of your post for a book that I will soon be writing with
>a listmate and will be sure to make the attribution to you for the
>information you provided.

Thanks, but either you or I should check into the facts behind what I wrote,
because some of it was guesswork.