From:
Andrea Hughett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 09:48:31 -0800
Hi Trish. Give that I am neither a doctor nor a nutrionist, nor do I play one on TV...it sounds as if you are doing wonderful! Yes, if your body is used to very high blood glucose, then it will get anxious at a lower reading even if that reading is too high for a healthy person. It takes time to adjust. My advice would be to aim to keep it, say, under 100 for a while until your body adjusts. Maybe even aim for a little higher, since below 95 seems to be where your body reacts as if it were too low. Then once you have maintained that for a period of time, and you are not having outrageous spikes, work to lower the reading to where your body is comfortable. In other words, keep the 85 as an ultimate goal - but approach it by degrees.

You don't mention weight - I assume as a Type 2 you were overweight when diagnosed, so forgive me if I am wrong. Weight loss per se tends to normalize blood sugars, so if you are continuing to lose weight, it will help in the long run.

I am in a similar place right now. I have lost 83 pounds, and my bg's, although much lower, have been very erratic lately: they go up when I fast, down when I eat, and exercise is anyone's bet! I finally went to a naturopathic physician, and although I am sure we will butt heads eventually over my high-fat, largely animal-based diet, so far I am willing to cooperate and see what happens. He feels that what is happening is my body overreacting to lows. Makes sense....  Anyhow, for now I am trying to stay between 70 and 100, continue to lose weight, and let things work themselves out. He's got me taking rhodiola to support my adrenal system and a fiber supplement to smooth out the blood sugar variations. (Neither technically paleo, I know, although arguments could be made...let's just subsume it under the compensatory rubric.) And only testing 4 times a day - I was testing just about every hour trying to figure out what was going on!

Sometimes it can help to think of the body as a toddler. In the short run it gets very contrary, but if you continue to kindly and firmly give it what you know it needs, it will straighten out in the long run. And choose your battles wisely.

Andrea