Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2009 22:39:10 -0500
> Thanks, Todd. Since Joel Fuhrman also advocates low-fat, mostly vegetarian
> diet, and sees no problem with losing half a pound of lean muscle mass a
> day while fasting for extended periods of time, I am unlikely to take his
> word for much, and at this point, an ounce of pomegranate juice exceeds my
> carb limit for the day. I'll keep it in mind down the road, however, if
> nothing else works.
>
> Andrea

Well, yes, Fuhrman is a crackpot.  I was lazy and cited that web page only
because some of the relevant studies were cited there.  You shouldn't take
his word for anything, but you should look at the science, which has
nothing to do with Fuhrman.  An ounce of pomegranate juice is only about
4.5 carbohydrate grams.  An ounce of celery is about 2 grams, but to my
knowledge there are no studies yet to show what a therapeutic dose of
celery (for reducing blood pressure) might be, so it's quite possible that
you'd end up consuming more carbohydrate in celery than in an ounce of
pomegranate juice, and the pomegranate juice appears to have other
beneficial effects as well.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11500191

Todd Moody