C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:04:58 -0600
From the Obama campaign, but scary since the McCain staffers comments were
read at the forum and made public.

 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kareem Dale <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 9:47 AM
Subject: Does McCain have a plan for the disability community?

 Obama vs. McCain

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/kareemdale/gGgHpr

by Kareem Dale, National Disability Vote Director, Obama for America
Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:09:59 AM

Doug Rogers, Deputy Disability Vote Director for Obama for America,
recently spoke at a Candidates' Forum in Ohio on October 12-13.  He
filed this amazing report:
        October 12:  Athens, Ohio
        I appeared at a Disability Forum in Athens, Ohio before around
30 individuals.  McCain did not send a representative, but Donna M.
Jones, National Coordinator, Americans with Disabilities for McCain
Coalition, sent an e-mail to Margaret Demko, one of the organizers for
the event, explaining why the McCain campaign did not send a
representative.  Her e-mail, which was read to the entire gathering and
made public, stated, among other things:
        "[T]he McCain Campaign does not have a vetted disability policy
to release at this time. I also do not have any further information on
when we might be releasing a platform discussing the Senator's stance on
issues that relate to people with disabilities. I understand that in
this contentious political season, the needs of people with disabilities
must be addressed as part of the policy conversation. It is my hope that
we will be able to release a vetted policy from Senator McCain in the
near future. That being said, I will not be able to send a surrogate to
discuss a policy Senator McCain has not approved."
        This statement by the McCain campaign reflects one important
reason I support Senator Obama.  Over a year ago in 2007, Senator Obama
released his comprehensive Plan to Empower Americans with Disabilities.
And, over a year later, Senator McCain still has not set forth any plan
for Americans with disabilities.  We are 23 days from electing the next
President who will have a significant impact on Americans with
disabilities in terms of health care, employment, education, independent
living and many other important supports and services.  I want a
President who took the time to care enough and recognized the importance
of setting forth detailed policies for our community of steps the
federal government should take to empower Americans with disabilities.
I do not want a President who 23 days before the election still has not
released a plan for the disability community.
        Their respective records are consistent with the Obama Plan and
the McCain lack of plan.  Senator Obama voted to extend the SCHIP
program to provide health insurance to millions of currently uninsured
children, many with disabilities, whereas Senator McCain voted against
extending the SCHIP program.   Senator Obama voted for full funding for
IDEA, whereas Senator McCain has voted against full funding at least
three times.  Senator Obama is a co-sponsor of the Community Choice Act,
whereas Senator McCain opposes the Community Choice Act.
 --
 Kendall
depends on the unreasonable man.