AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Collins Ouko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2009 22:26:29 -0500

             RENEW YOUR AAM MEMBERSHIP FOR $25!!!!

   MAIL YOUR CHECK TO AAM, P. O. Box 1016, MADISON, WI 53701

I have no qualms with the notion of a United Africa. A unified Africa is good for everyone, that much we can all agree on.
I think Gaddaffi's call for a united Africa is charlantry at its best.
I will leave that on that note.
Brother Thomas, are you going on record as saying that Africa is better off with Tyrants and Dictators than with weak , developing democracies? ( see your last paragraph)

Collins

---- Thomas Adeetuk <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

=============

             RENEW YOUR AAM MEMBERSHIP FOR $25!!!!

   MAIL YOUR CHECK TO AAM, P. O. Box 1016, MADISON, WI 53701

Brother Collins,

I stand by my comments. I did not say Gadaffi is "speaking for Africa". I asked very direct questions based on your comments. And I repeat them, Who is he insulting by calling for a United States of Africa, and is he not an African and why can't he make that call? No one said Gadaffi is a saint. And if I may add, since you seem to know for a fact that Gadaffi and his government have caused so many deaths in Africa, can you provide the rest of us who may not know what your evidence is?

Second, you asked an extended question "who said that because one is African, then he/she speaks for Africa, or has Africa's best interest at heart"; do you know who has Africa's interest at heart either? You are making value judgements of who Gadaffi is and do not for a minute think yours are the only judgements about this man. Other Africans like you are, have equally every right to judge the man for who they think he is.

And if I may add, there are many so-called democracies in Africa today, and in the past where not all the leaders are necessarily better for care takers of their people as Gadaffi is in Libya. Yes Libyans may not be enjoying the kind of democracy that you want for them, but I am not sure they actually would prefer the enept democracies that some other African countries have with leaders  stealing to enrich themselves in denial of basic needs for their people. Let the dialog continue.

Thomas Adeetuk
College Library
Helen C. White Hall
600 N. Park Street