ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Angel238 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2008 07:54:17 -0400
A men lady.  I always knew you were bright.  My grand nephew's mother is
German.  He speaks fluent German as well as English.  She always translates
for her employer when he entertains because he doesn't know the language.
He could save a lot of the money he pays her if he could speak to his own
clients.  Not only that, but he could empress them quite a lot.  It is sad
some who come here won't learn English, but, there are and always have been,
English speaking people both from the United Kingdom and the United states
who have   gone to places such as India and Africa and never took the time
or trouble to learn the native languages around them.  The colonialists of
Africa and India just made the language of the colonial power the "official
language" and that settled the entire thing for them.  That is what we did
when the English came to this country.  There were all sorts of native
peoples with a plethora of languages and rarely did we take tine to learn
their languages.  Why should we?  After all, they were the concord people.
Yet we seem xenophobic when others don't learn our language, rather than
using that lack of knowledge to learn ourselves to communicate with them?  A
child growing up in a bilingual home is indeed truly fortunate.  He has the
best of both worlds.