ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Chris & Doris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2008 08:18:51 +0200
European countries often require students to learn another language
and I do not see that as an infringement on our freedom but an
enrichment. German students are required to take English. The
Majority takes English in 5th grade and anyone who did not take
English in 5th is required to do so in 7th grade.

Learning another language is not only about learning words in another
language but it is also about learning about another culture, another
way of thinking and anyone benefits by broadening their horizons.
There is a world outside the U.S. or North America and not everyone
speaks and thinks English nor is everything better or the best in
North America or Western Culture even.

This said, I wwould never want to live in a country whose language I
do not speak nor even spend vacation there if I did not at least knew
the rudiments of the language.

I am fluent in English and German, know some French and am currently
learning Spanish and had five years of Latin bak in school. Learning
languages is not dangerous or impossible to do or detrimental to
one's physical or mental wellbeing but can be a fun and enriching
experience and it grows easier the more languages one tackles.

Maybe if non-English speaking countries and people were not intersted
in learning English, some English spekers might change their minds
about learning foreign languages.  to me it is politeness and interst
in the other on both sides that should encourage both host and guest
to learn each other's language.

Cheers,

Doris

At 01:24 AM 5/31/2008 -0400, you wrote:
>Why is this.  Wouldn't it behoove them to learn?  It is a free
>country and one is free to learn or not to learn what one wishes.  I
>was just saying I thought it might behoove us to embrace the
>language.  It is a most beautiful language, and would open more
>avenues of employment for anyone, particularly for us blind.  French
>is also a beautiful language and those who speak that language also
>have an advantage if they live in Canada.  It is a fine thing for
>others to embrace our language and our customes, but, an even finer
>thing for us to reach out to strangers in their own tongue.  I think
>it is much more welcoming and loving.  Particularly as we aren't
>obliged to do this, and usually do it out of the warmth of our own hearts.
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Scovell" <[log in to unmask]>

"Pray, pray, pray!" - Pray without ceasing. (1 Th 5:17)