Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2008 23:55:40 -0400

It is my understanding that kidney disease is not unusual for
patients diagnosed with Lupus.  Is this also true about Sjogren's?

I am having some scary symptoms- predominantly pain in the lower-
middle back on both sides and abdominal pain on both sides- almost
constant- mostly just mild and uncomfortable but occasionally
moderate, and less frequently a sharp stabbing pain- it was first
thought to be kidney stones.  The first time I had the pain- late
August, I also had a bladder infection, blood in my urine and
crystals.  But the CAT Scan was clear.   I've had problems with
bladder infections (and a few kidney infections) my entire life.  I
am 45 and I estimate I've had more then 60 infections - the first one
happened at 15 years old.  When I was in my mid to late 20's they did
lots of testing and said that I had an abnormally small bladder.

I have not been diagnosed with Lupus, but I have been diagnosed with
Sjogren's [and CD and DH].  I do have some Lupus symptoms, but
haven't been concerned as I understand a definitive diagnosis is
difficult to obtain ( why worry about something I can't control) and
too, that Sjogren's is very similar - as far as attacking internal
organs- and so I didn't feel that it really mattered.

The rheumatologist I went too treated me really poorly at my last
visit- only went twice- I had no bladder symptoms at the time, but
his testing also showed blood in the urine and high WBC and he blew
this off and said I was probably having my period ( I wasn't) and
that a lot of people show an elevated WBC when nothing is wrong.
HUH?   No self respecting person would go back.  It's a long story
but basically he was insulted that I got copies of  the lab work he
ordered to give to  my PCP.  My PCP had asked me too, not that I need
to justify asking for a copy of my records.....anyway the whole thing
was bizarre- his tests also showed I had Vit D deficiency....

I am wondering if there is a connection between kidney disease and
Sjogren's? Of note, I have been having salt cravings for more than a
year and have noticed edema- but only once or twice.   Is there
anyone here afflicted with both and would you be willing to share
your story?  I will share with the group or not- as you wish.

The urologist I saw today ordered a regular ultra sound, x-ray and
another urine sample, I should have more answers next week.  He did
not think that what I have is kidney stones.  He said it would be
highly unlikely to get a clear CAT scan if there were kidney stones.

thank you,

Yvonne

Yaar Glass
http://www.yaarglass.com/