THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Shomon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 18:47:10 -0500
Ballew Kinnaman wrote:
<snip>
> Here's A Thyroid Question:
> I have a question, if everyone else is shy.  8=]'   Why is my doctor so
> heavily against bovine thyroid supplementation, as opposed to
> synthroid and levo-thyroxine?  Anybody know?
>  Pax,
> Ballew Kinnaman  <[log in to unmask]>  512/463-9321

Hi Ballew!  There's someone else out there on the list!!  Hi everyone
else!  Looking forward to getting to know you all!!

My understanding is that doctors are concerned about their ability to
control the precise dosing when they're dealing with the "natural"
thyroid hormone. It's supposedly easier to control when you have very
precise, minute dosages such as those available with Synthroid, for
example.  This appears to be true.

However, there is, however, also a mainstream medical preference against
T3/T4 combination drugs such as Armour Thyroid (which is naturally
derived) and Thyrolar (which is synthetic T3/T4) because they don't
believe most patients need the extra T3.  However, I am one who does
much better on a combo drug (I take Thyrolar) than on Synthroid.

We've all heard about the influence of pharmaceutical companies.
Personally, I also believe that the marketing strength and influence of
Knoll, the company that makes Synthroid, may also have something to do
with it too...(does your doc have a Synthroid desk pad and pen/pencil
set?  :D  )

My two cents!!

Mary