THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Esther Lerch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 11 May 1997 08:31:59 -0400
Can anyone point me to references for the assertion that T3, and
particularly the formulation in Armour, can cause osteoporosis?  Is there
any reason to think that Armour in particular, rather than either synthroid
(T4 only) or thyrolar (synthetic T4 & T3) might carry such a risk?

Now, don't get me wrong.  I am quite suspicious of practically anything that
M.D. medical practitioners have to say about thyroid meds.  As far as I'm
concerned, both the research and treatment phases of thyroid practice are so
heavily under the influence of the major commercial pharmaceutical
interests, that any claim to knowledge deserves to be deconstructed.

However, I have heard this claim from enough M.D. medical practitioners who
seem like basically responsible individuals otherwise, that I'm curious as
to their sources.  If it turns out to be a piece of self-serving
marketeering in the guise of scientific knowledge, promulgated by the mfgs
of synthroid, then I think we ought to know that.  If, however, there is
some genuine cause for concern here, I think we are entitled to know that as
well.

So, does anyone know the primary sources for this claim?  What are the
underlying studies, where and when did they take place, where are they
published and who funded them?

Esther
"The truth is out there."