THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Charlotte Giles <"[log in to unmask]"@Interpath.com>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 1997 10:10:36 -0500
Betsy Polglase wrote:

> >> Does anyone know anything about differences in medication? They changed
> >>me from Levothyroxine to Levoxyl about 4 months ago, and I have been
> >>having a bit of trouble with atrial fibrillation (short periods of heart
> >> palpitations, racing, skipping, and arrythmia)since then.
> >
> Charlotte Giles wrote:
> >Why did they change your med? Changing brands of thyroid medication can
> >cause all kinds of problems. Manufacters suggest you never change brands
> >as long as you are on thyroid med.
>
> Hi, Charlotte,
>
> Do you know why this is? I thought I had heard something about this. I
> believe the Levoxyl and Levothyroxine have the same basic ingredient, but
> according to the Physicians' Desk Reference, the additives are different.
>
> Betsy

You hit the nail on the head.  Different additives can cause your body
to absorb the thyroid med differently, leading to different ways your
body will react. It states clearly in the PDR not to change brands of
thyroid medication. I'm surprised your doctor didn't know this. Usually
when doctors are adjusting your med, they will stay with the same brand
but go up and down with the dosage, not change brands.