THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Shomon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 1997 14:07:43 -0500
______________________
Francisco Lopez Rueda wrote:
You are right on PCO that induces increased testosterone and the
treatment improves the symptoms (cystic acne and chin hairs). I don't
know any connection between thyroid problem and PCO.
- Francisco L. Rueda, MD.
_______________________

While I for one know I have a tendency to put greater stock in
information coming from an "MD," the above post causes me some concern
as to quality of information being presented from a supposed "medical"
source, because this information is directly contradicted in numerous
thyroid books, and the literature.

For example, according to "The Thyroid and Reproductive System:
Disorders of Menstruation, Fertility and Pregnancy" an article by Loren
Wissner Greene, MD., F.A.C.P., F.A.C.E., published last year in the
Thyroid Foundation of America's newsletter, the Bridge, Volume 10 Number
1...

"Hypothyroidism has also been associated with an increased risk
of having cysts forming on the ovaries, or polycystic ovaries [PCO].
This condition is also associated with decreased fertility."

You can read the entire article at the TFA's web site:
http://www.clark.net/pub/tfa/bridge/bridge.vol10.no1.html#reproductive

The TFA is a major national organization dealing with thyroid disease,
and many nationally prominent board-certified endocrinologists,
including a reproductive endocrinologist like Dr. Wissner Greene, are
members, and contributing authors to the newsletter. If anyone wishes
more information...

The Thyroid Foundation of America
350 Ruth Sleeper Hall - RSL 350 Parkman Street
Boston, MA 02114-2698
(617)726-8500  1-800-832-8321  FAX (617)726-4136
Email: [log in to unmask]   On the web: http://www.clark.net/pub/tfa/

If anyone would like any other references re: relationship between PCO
and thyroid, please email me directly- [log in to unmask]

--Mary