THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carol Tease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 1997 19:02:18 -0400
In a message dated 24/10/97  14:27:52, you write:

<< Have any of you had similar experiences or know where
 there are any medical articles covering this subject. Money
 is so tight in the National Health Service in the UK that you
 are never sure if there IS no treatment or if they don't want to
 give it to you because it's expensive!

 Note: She has had CAT scans and numerous medical tests
 to check for other possible causes of the migraine
 syndrome. >>

I live in the UK and I think that she would have no problem
 getting thyroid replacements. No one knows what really causes
migraine so I can not see how any doctor could say that
taking thyroid medication if she needs it would make it worse.
It all seems very strange to me, I don't have migraines but
I do know that people with untreated thyroid problems are
going to have loads of problems of various sorts.
Is her thyroid problem definate, or is it just suspected by
you both? Either way I think another doctor should be involved
to reason out this decision as it seems a logical solution
to see if thyroxin will help the migraines. Maybe a good case
to put forward to her doctor is that untreated thyroid problems
are known to cause depression, and maybe depression aggivates
migraines?
Are you sure that there isn't some worry about combining the
medicines for the two conditions?

Carol