THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ballew Kinnaman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 17:08:27 -0600
Dear Mark and Thyroid Folks,

Thanks for your interest and contributions to the Thyroid mailing list.

ADMINISTRATIVE: SPAM POLICY --  I HATE SPAM

Now, I don't normally act this overtly or heavy-handed, and I suspect you
didn't write your .sig or tag line just for me, and I'm really not picking
on you, really, but neither can I resist replying to this:

>As Per US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5,Subchapter II 227
>Unsolicited commercial advertising is NOT Welcome here

This may be a good opportuntity to clarify the SPAM policy on the Thyroid
mailing list, so please don't take this as a personal attack -- I agree
with your sentiments 99% of the time.

But, just so you don't get surprised later -- I HOPE we're able to drum up
advertisers and sponsors for this mailing list, to help it pay its own way.
 There *will* eventually be commercial messages ONE DAY A MONTH, if we are
successful.  All ads will be clearly marked as commercials, and posted by
me alone, on that one day per month.  If it's not clearly marked as an ad
and posted by me on "ads" day, then it's either a consumer review of a
thyroid-related product or service (perfectly okay any day of the month) or
it's a despicable SPAM.  [As a mailing list "owner," I can assure you I
have choked on more than my share of SPAM.  I also have some additional
tools at my disposal for executing SPAMMERS.]

I set up the Thyroid mailing list so, as the list "owner," I'm doing some
basic SPAM control, and some "newbie education," but I consider this
mailing list to be unmoderated and on the honor system.  I'll keep the
signal-to-noise ratio as high as reasonably possible (I've received
compliments on this), and all of you are expected to read and understand
the whole "Welcome" guidelines.  I sometimes do send off-list reminders to
folks who don't seem to follow the rules in the "Welcome" message.

>Unsolicited commercial advertising is NOT Welcome here

Wrong, or at least not exactly clear in this case. To directly,
specifically respond to this anti-SPAM .sig, my take on this situation is
that one has solicited thyroid-related, clearly marked, occasional
commercial advertising posted by the list owner, by subscribing to Thyroid.
 My experience with other mailing lists is that once a month is about right
for allowing/soliciting charter-related commercials, but, as always, your
mileage may vary.

I invite your off-list responses on this (or any) topic, since I'm always
looking for ways to improve a mailing list -- especially a newborn one.  8=]'

 Pax,
Ballew Kinnaman  <[log in to unmask]>  512/463-9321
Discussion list owner -- Allergy - PCHealth - Rubber - Thyroid
Allergy LISTSERV list ---> http://www.Immune.Com/allergy
PCHealth LISTSERV list ---> http://www.Emissary.Net/pchealth
Rubber LISTSERV list ---> http://www.Immune.Com/rubber
Thyroid LISTSERV list ---> http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid