THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Shomon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 13:08:46 -0400
Re: Pregnancy, an interesting new study just reported...

The August Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism reports that
pregnancy loss may lead to thyroiditis. Basically, they found that the
immunologic changes that occur during a pregnancy that miscarries may be
enough to cause thyroiditis in women who miscarry early.

Interestingly for those who are trying to get pregnant, they also found
that the women studied had normal TSH levels before conception or at the
time of miscarriage, BUT all but one had positive antithyroid
antibodies."  POSITIVE ANTIBODIES, folks! They state that risk of
miscarriage is twice as high in women who have antithyroid antibodies
than in those who do not.

(I have a few friends who are euthyroid, but still keep having recurrent
m/c, and they have antibodies, and doctors have said till now that this
had nothing to do with it.  So I'm hoping this finding will truly help
some people with fertility issues!!)

You can read more at Reuters:
http://www.reutershealth.com/news/docs/199708/19970813clf.html

but you need to register for free first, at
http://www.reutershealth.com/registration.html if you don't already have
a password.

Mary

Mary Shomon  -- [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
THYROID DISEASE WEBSITE:  http://thyroid.miningco.com
THYROID DISEASE LINKS LIBRARY: http://thyroid.miningco.com/mlibrary.htm