THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 13:24:40 -0400
In a message dated 97-08-20 07:51:20 EDT, dr.g writes:

<< there is no such thing as resistance to thyroid hormone
 treatment,wilson's syndrome.it is pseudo science not to be taken
 seriously.look elswhere when symptoms persist with normal t4 and tsh.
 dr.g. >>
 First I would like to point out that Wilson's Syndrome and cellular
resistance to thyroid hormones are not the same thing at all.  Whether or not
there is any such thing as Wilson's Syndrome has yet to be proven, but very
scientific studies with regard to resistance to thyroid hormones at the
cellular level have been done.  Before you embarrass yourself in the midst of
this very knowledgeable and medically savvy group, I suggest you might
contact Drs. Kopp, Kitajima and Jameson in the Division of Endocrinology,
Metabolism & Molecular Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School,
Chicago, IL, or; Drs. Weiss, Marcocci and Refetoff in the Department of
Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, just for starters.  There are
also studies being done at Harvard, Baylor, and Stanford here in the United
States, and abroad you will find that studies have been done at the
University of Cambridge, Service d' Endocrinologie in Montepellier, Institute
of Endocrine Sciences, University of Milan; Instituto de Investigaciones
Biomedicas in Madrid, Spain as well as many others.
There have been a multitude of papers published on this topic but I will let
you look those up on your own.
I don't know what type of medicine you practice, but even my children's
pediatrician is aware of this disorder, as it pertains to symptoms of ADHD.
I hope you will find this information helpful and useful.
Blessings,
Ricci