THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Janice L. Hurst" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 10:34:04 -0400
At 04:10 PM 8/11/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Wait...are you telling me that Synthroid is a SULFA drug? In the same
>family with all of the sulfa drugs that cause asthmatics to go nuts?
>I have asthma which is quite severe-once it put me in a coma-and my
>doctor has me on a sulfa drug?
>Is he crazy? I am going to have an asthma attack from just learning
>this! Please inform me whether or not I should report my doctor to the
>local mental institution...
>Thanks,
>Dannette Catera

There is no evidence in any of my books that Synthroid is a SULFA drug.  I
would call your pharmacist first to know for sure.  What they print for JOHN
Q. PUBLIC is different than what they print for pharmacists.  Synthroid is
the origional Brand Name (not a gineric) and there are other generics which
I have no idea of what they are.  Besides, if you use the same pharmacy,
they know that you have an allergy to SULFA and they are able to put a
"flag" on the computer under your account so that if the doctor orders
anything with SULFA in it, the pharmacist will be alerted if he or she isn't
aware of the contents of the medicine.  You can find the PDR on the internet
that will list the ingredients of SYNTHROID.  Using your search engine type
in PDR OR
Physicians Desk Reference.

Remember, there are a bunch of people on the internet.  Some make mistakes
in what they say and others pick up the mistakes.  I have had doctors make
mistakes with medications for me but a Pharmacist is expected to know more
than a doctor.  Others may have heard something are are seeking to find out
if it is the truth or not as you are.

        CHECK WITH YOUR PHARMACIST.  But let me try to reassure you.  If you
have been taking SYNTHROID and it doesn't seem to bother you then it must be
agreeing with you.  Your doctor has you on the right dosage.

I just checked a pharmacutical book that I have that pharmacists use if a
patient has questions.  There is no mention of ASTHMA under thyroid hormones.
The only warning is that it is not to be used if you are ALLERGIC to THYROID
HORMONES.

So calm youself down.