THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 11:55:33 -0700
> From: Pat Wellsand <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: swelling ankles
> Date: Wednesday, July 30, 1997 3:18 AM
>
> What exactly causes swelling ankles and feet?  Can it be controlled by
> changes in diet?  My doctor suggested support hose.  I don't want to wear
> them.  I want to stop what causes it.  I do sit at a computer 10 hrs a
day,
> Do over the counter water pills or any type of vitamin/herb help?
> > If I ever can get an appointment I am supposed to see an endo for
> Hyperthyroidism.
> > Your discussion group is great.  I feel I will be better informed when
at
> last I see someone.
> > Pat W.

Pat, I hope you'll see your Endo ASAP!  If your feet & ankles are swelling
due to hyperthyroid, then you ought to get treatment soon (you'll be glad
you did, and wonder why you didn't go in sooner).  In June '94, I had
hyperthyroid without even knowing what a thyroid is, or goiter for that
matter.  Besides the swelling of my ankles, I also had a fast heart rate,
my hands would shake when I went to hold them out, I felt much warmer than
usual, I kicked the blankets off at bedtime, I tossed & turned for a few
hours before finally being able to sleep, my bowel movements increased from
one per day to three per day, my skin became sort of clammy & a bit
leathery, I got a glum outlook on life, my thyroid gland swelled (goiter),
I came down with a voracious appetite and ate much more than usual (but
lost 13 lbs in a month!), and my eyes began to protrude.  But the symptom
that sent me concerned to see a doctor was a menstrual cycle which stopped
on the second day of onset (whereas it is usually the MOST heavy on the
second
day, then quickly tapering down, with a usual 8 day durance).  The doctor
diagnosed
me with Graves' Disease hyperthyroid.  I do not know what causes the
swelling of the ankles, but if you do have hyperthyroid, the swelling might
go down immediately upon taking an Anti-thyroid medication.  They put me on
Tapazole, and the only three symptoms which did not go away with Tapazole
are:  the bulging of the eyes, the swollen thyroid, and a persistently
faster heart rate.
 I take a beta blocker (Atenolol) to help slow my heart down.
        Before you ask about other corrective treatments for hyperthyroid (such as
"RAI" or
thyroidectomy), find out what you have first.  Make that appointment now if
you have
not yet made one.  Luckily for me, my regular family physician figured out
what my condition was, and she wasn't even an endocrinologist.
Unfortunately, many patients have doctors who misdiagnose the thyroid
conditions.  All the best, LaVonne, USA