THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Berkompas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 1997 13:31:37 +0700
> "The symptoms that seem to reflect that he may have Hashimoto's disease
>are ridges on the fingernails,"
>
>        Many of us who do not have Hashimoto's have ridges on the
>fingernails.  I
>read in a book that fingernail ridges are an indication of poor nutient
>absorption, where there's a lack of protein, sulfur and calcium in the diet
> -  however, hormonal imbalances can also contribute to fingernail ridging.
/snip/

I developed ridges on all my nails (vertical from base to tip) after two
years on hormone replacement therapy (HRT). Prior to that my nails were
sort of soft and peeled easily. I suspect the premarin/provera combo is the
main culprit, having caused negative side effects along with the positive
or improved cognitive function.

Now, after almost a year off those meds, and after having been on a regular
vitamin/mineral supplement routine, the nails are slowly improving--ridges
no longer split and are less pronounced.

I have not been diagnosed with any thyroid disorder, but I do experience
many of the symptoms (a lot of which are the same as those is
perimenopause). But it could also be plain old hormonal
imbalance...or...stressed out adrenals ...or... ???. It's all so confusing!
But I'm feeling better each month and learning a lot from this list.
Thanks you all for sharing

...and has anyone ever been able to get rid of a sore/burning tongue? If
so, what do you think worked?

Joette in Bangkok
<[log in to unmask]>  or  <[log in to unmask]>