THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tina Dever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 10:50:17 -0400
Hi everyone!
I was diagnosed with Hashi's at age 17 after many blood tests and some type
of thyroid scan (as I remember, it involved having something injected into my
neck, maybe radioactive iodine?).  I've also had 2 biopsies over the years
which have been negative.  The only real symptom I've had has been the
goiter, most pronounced on the right side.  I was told that it would probably
reduce in size after being on meds for a while.  It has reduced slightly, but
now after almost 10 years, its size has been pretty consistent.  Am I right
in assuming that this is most likely scar tissue?  Also, it seems like most
people who write to this group with Hashi's are hypo, but I am not, and have
never been.  If anything, I have leaned towards the hyper side (difficulty
gaining weight, light, irregular periods) both before (so I don't think its
only the case that my dosage is too high) and after being diagnosed.  I'm
pretty sure my dose was .1mg of synthroid,from 1988-1992 , then was lowered
to .08mg from 1992-1993, and then back up to .1mg.  Last October, my general
practitioner changed it to .1mg of levothyroxine.  Each change in
dosage/medication was prescribed by a new doctor as I have moved around a
lot.  Does the change from synthroid to levo have any known effect?  Also,
I've been off birth control pills for about nine months (my thryroid problems
started way before I went on the pill), and since then, I've only had my
period about four times.  If my irregular periods are caused solely by my
thyroid disease, then how come they were so regular when I was on the pill?
Sorry for all of the questions and details, but I have an ob/gyn appointment
next week.
Thanks!
Tina