THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elaine Chang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 23:00:08 -0700
Laura wrote:

>Jeez, my thyroid gland shriveling up and dying doesn't sound too
>cheerful.  ;-)  But actually, (there's been some mixup of people)
>I've been hypo for quite awhile so that part isn't new.  It's just
>that I keep hearing about Hash, and that is new to me and I'm
>wondering what additional information I would have if I found out
>that is the cause of my hypo.

You're right.  Having your thyroid shrivel up and die does not sound too
cheerful.  But, unfortunately, that's what happens when you have the
antibodies... your thyroid becomes scar tissue.  Like everyone has been
saying, Hashi's is an autoimmune disease that can be determined with
antibody tests as well as biopsy (last resort to be sure of dx).  People
with Hashi's have a TENDENCY to develop problems such as :
        prematurely gray hair
        patchy hair loss (alcopecia areata
        white patches on the skin (vitiligo)
        anemia due to lack of Vitamin B12
        rheumatoid arthritis
        Protrusion of the eyes
        diabetes mellitus

        * This does NOT mean that people with Hashi's will have these
conditions.

If you do have Hashi's and have hypo symptoms, you will live like other hypo
people and there is nothing that can be done.  The one reason that I would
have to find out if Hashi's was the cause of your condition is to be aware
that the tendency to have Hashi's can be inherited.

I hope this helps.