THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elaine Chang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 18:20:38 -0700
Laura wrote:

>I also have a question which I haven't seen the answer to regarding
>Hash - I don't know what caused my hypothyroidism  - if it is Hash,
>does that make a difference as far as treatment/symptoms/prognosis?

Laura:

Have you been tested for Hashi's?  One of the main differences, as far as
treatment is concerned, is that you can't use the "natural" healing products
of iodine and kelp.  For Hashi people, there thyroid may be functionning
normally, but there are antibodies that are destroying the thyroid tissue.
Hypothyroid people have a condition where there thyroid is underactive...
iodine and kelp are supposed to help the thyroid function properly.  Once a
Hashi person's thyroid is basically scar tissue, they develop hypothyroid
symptoms, so I don't think there is a real difference.

I hope this helps.

-Elaine